Pros and Cons of Curved LED DisplayPosted on Wednesday, March 30, 2016
There is an abundance of LED displays in the Philippines. Over the years, these screen displays have been constantly innovated to serve the different needs of consumers. Nowadays, LED screens are used as desktop computer monitors, as television displays, and as advertising tools. Truly, there are plenty of uses for LED displays!
In the effort to expand the use of screen displays to meet different demands, some changes on its physical appearance have been made – like digital billboards, for instance. LED billboards are like television screens, tweaked and enlarged to serve the advertising purposes of various companies. Another example is curved screens. Basically, they are LED displays except that they are slightly curved inwards. You’ve probably seen them in appliance stores in the country. The question, however, is if you should buy one. Check its pros and cons below before making a decision.
- Audience Immersion – Through the years, manufacturers tried to find ways to improve screen display’s capability to immerse the audience and improve their overall watching experience. Alas, where others failed, curved LED displays succeeded. This screen display’s slightly curved look helps wrap the viewer with the show she is watching. The curved ends create an effect of great depth which helps the audience fully immerse herself in the spectacle that she is watching.
- Enhanced Depth – One thing that curved LED displays have over flat screens is the enhanced depth. With its arched ends, the contrast of the images on screen adjusts, which helps the sense of depth automatically improve. This means that although you are watching from a 2D display, the visuals might appear 3D sometimes.
- Improved Viewing Experience – Usually, the screen displays used in cinema houses are slightly curved inwards. This set up is supposed to be patterned to the shape of our eyes. Basically, the curved edges will help the images on the side retain its sharpness when viewed by the audience. This same idea is applied on curved LED displays which mean that, like cinema screens, viewers have a more comfortable time watching the improved images on curved screens, further improving their viewing experience.
- Limited Viewing Angles – Although curved screens can be advantageous, you need to be sitting in certain positions to be able to reap these benefits. The seat directly in front of the screen or somewhere opposite the center of the screen is will give you the perfect viewing angle. However, if you are sitting on the far left or far right (opposite either of the screen’s two ends), the images on screen might appear distorted. This means that unless you’re sitting in specific spots, you cannot savor the advantages of having a curved LED display.
- Effectiveness is Proportional to Size – If you are going to purchase a curved screen display, make sure to pick a large one. Why? The benefits of curved displays are somewhat proportional to the size of the screen. Bigger screens mean that plenty of people can sit directly in front of the display so that they can experience the best viewing angle. On the other hand, a smaller curved LED display means that only a few people can enjoy the right viewing angles.
Check the advantages and disadvantages of curved LED displays above before deciding whether to purchase one.